- 100g of freshly grated coconut, frozen or desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp. coconut milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- 1 tbsp. chilli flakes
- 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 a small tomato chopped
- 1 or 2 green chillies.
- If you use desiccated coconut:
In a bowl mix together the coconut, coconut milk and hot water. Place in the microwave for 30 seconds and let it cool.
- Put onions, green chilli, chilli flakes and salt into a mortar and pestle and pound to a thick paste.
- Slowly add the coconut, 1-2 tbsp. at a time until you’ve used up all the coconut.
- Continue to pound until all ingredients mix together with coconut and the coconut has taken on a reddish colour.
- Add small pieces of tomatoes and pound gently.
- Put prepared pol sambol in to a bawl and squeeze lime juice and mix well. Add extra salt to taste.
- If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, put all ingredients in to a food processor, except tomato. Add tomatoes after putting mixture in a bawl.
- Enjoy your pol sambol with bread, steamed rice, or roti.