Dhal, lentils or “Parippu”is the most famous curry in South Asian countries. Red split lentils is a good source of several antioxidant vitamins, including vitamins C and E and excellent source of B vitamins. Lentils are extremely rich in soluble fiber, The higher fiber content of lentils helps in increasing the size of stool; hence, speeding the journey of waste products through the gut. Lentils curry is high in protein and carbohydrates, which contribute to the calorie count.
If you are a vegetarian and are concerned about your protein intake, you can ideally incorporate lentils in your regular diet as they offer the third highest level of proteins from plant-based foods, after soybeans and hemp.
It is one of the most easiest vegan curries you can cook within 30 minutes.
Ingredients: (for 4 servings)
1-cup red lentils
2 garlic pods
½ medium sized onion sliced
2-3 green chilli sliced
1 tsp red chilli powder
Few curry leaves
2-inch piece rampe leaf (pandan)-optional
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp raw curry powder
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
Pinch of salt to taste
1/2-cup coconut milk
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 red chillies
6-7 curry leaves
- Wash lentils and rinse it well for at least 2 to 3 times.
lentils and water in a cooking pan and put chopped onion, sliced green chilli, red
chilli powder, few curry leaves, rampe leaves, fenugreek seeds, turmeric
powder, curry powder, and garlic in it.(If it is hard to find rampe /pandan leaves,
just ignore it.)
- Cover and cook it for 5-7 minutes in
medium flame till most of the water evaporates and the dhal is cooked.
- Now it’s the time for adding pinch of salt and mix well.
- Add ½ cups of coconut milk. Mix well.
Cover and allow cooking in medium flame in 3 minutes.
- Check the taste and adjust salt to taste.
- At the mean time heat another pan and add 2 tsp. of oil. Once oil is hot, add the tempering items in order.
- When you can see onion is getting golden brown with nice smell, put cooked lentils curry in to this pan and mixed well till all tempering items spread evenly with the lentils.
- Serve with rice or flatbread.
- Some people like to enjoy lentils curry without tempering. You can try either way, if you like.